In June 2005 our parish celebrated the centenary of our Church. The Church is the third to serve the needs of our parish since its foundation in 1877. The first post reformation Church was opened in Dixon’s Rows in 1877 and was soon replaced by the Church – School on the site of our current parish Hall. Work began on our current church designed by the famous architects Pugin and Pugin in 1903 and was opened in June 1905 at a cost of £10,001.
As the centenary of the Church approached it was decided to prepare by ensuring that as many people as possible where involved in the decision making and running of the parish.
The planning team meet regularly to plan and prepare for the spiritual preparation for the centenary. The centenary will be marked with a parish mission early in 2005 and a pilgrimage to Iona in April/May and a celebration Mass in June 2005.
The Social and fundraising group are organizing different events to bring the parish together in social activities and also to fund raise to help meet the cost of the work being carried out to the church.
The fabric teams aim is to ensure that as our Church prepares for the centenary that it is kept in a good state of repair to see the changes of Blantyre over the next 100years and to continue to provide a place of worship for the people of our parish. This will mean some major work primarily on the exterior of the building to ensure it remains wind and water tight.